HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 12-Racks & Straps Check In
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 AM
iayotehunter
Typical Buck

First I'd like to say sorry for the long read.

I'm just as surprised as you guys are to see that I'm writing another entry before the 16th so let's start this blog with how this weekend even happened. Friday morning I woke up to get ready for class and a long boring weekend when I receive a text from my girlfriend's mom saying she needs me to call her. My heart sank not knowing what happened so I called her right away to find out that she would be driving here to pick me up and take me home to surprise my daughter. After classes Friday night I was picked up and taken home. I definitely surprised my girlfriend when she opened the van door thinking she had to help unload groceries. Saturday morning I decided to just stay in with her family and visit but I was ready to be out in the stand again.
I was taken to my house at 3:00 and dropped off. I hurried getting all my gear on and got into the timber by 3:15. As soon as I sat down and began scanning the timberline next to the bean field I see antlers walking towards me, then another set of antlers following the first buck. I continue to scan farther out to see two does in the field farther out and another buck entering the field. I watched for awhile wishing I had calls or a doe decoy but all I could do is sit and hope for the does to make their way towards me. 4:30 rolls around and I see two more racks on the field edge. two shooters walk into the field one being a 140 class 8 pt I had recently got pictures of and another buck I hadn't seen before. The bucks weren't minding each other just feeding with the does trying to find the first doe to come into heat. 5:00 rolls around still haven't made their way to me now there was 9 bucks in the field and 2 does. I thought I was dreaming I've never seen this many deer in one sit. I watched as a buck chases a doe into the far CRP and disappears. Now it's to the point where it will be too dark to shoot by the time they made their way to me so I decided to creep out of the stand sooner than I would because I didn't want them to be near when I got out.
The next morning I wake up to 30 mph winds, rain, sleet, everything that wanted to keep me out of the stand but my girlfriend urged me to get out of bed and go so I did. I get in the stand around 7:00 AM thinking the rain was over and it would be a good sit. as soon as I settled in the rain started pouring down and wind blew directly where I didn't want it but I noticed a buck 500 yards away in the bean field eating. I thought to myself I have two buck tags so I don't care how big he is I'll shoot my first buck get the nerves out of the way and be ready for when the big guy comes. I watch the buck as he begins running through the CRP so I get my bow in hand and wait. He pops out 75 yards downwind of me in 30 mph wind, I think to myself this deer has to be stupid if he walks all the way up here with out spooking. I have my camera on him watching him get closer and closer before I knew it a small 8 point was 10 yards from me and I haven't even drawn my bow. Now I have to wait he continues past and I draw my bow but I have to sit down to get underneath a branch. I stopped him and released the arrow, went right underneath him. I don't know what happened, I may have rushed, could have been because it was my first time shooting from a tree stand, or if it was because I was sitting down. All I know is I was happy it was a clean miss. I go back home soaked to the skin, frozen, and defeated but I was going to go back out no matter what in the afternoon. While I sit at home waiting for my ride back to town, I look out my window to see a 120 class 8 pt walking through my back yard and into the timber. Then my parents tell me they had a really nice buck in our driveway last night when the got back home. I thought can deer really mess with me this much.
The afternoon rolls around and I get in my stand around 3:30 and begin to wait to see some movement. I watch the far fence line where I had seen the bucks enter the field the previous night and on my way scanning back I notice two does in the field 500 yards away. I thought tonight they will make it to me. I watch as a giant 12 pt walks out of the CRP in the bottom of the hill and continues across the bean field in the opposite direction, now I was pumped. I went back to look at the does in the binoculars and see a 150 class 10 pt has joined them and a few other small bucks were still hanging out on the fence line nervous to enter the field with the bigger buck. 4:45 comes and the deer have only gotten to 4:00 yards and I think it's going to be a bust again and they'll turn around and go back the way the came. Another doe joined the other two when a 120 class 8 pt pushed her into the field. The other two bucks finally got the courage to enter the field too. They chased the does into 350 yards and the 10 pushed the younger bucks away and chased one of the does to 300 yards. I prayed for the doe to keep coming towards me but my prayer was answered with the buck crossing the fence in the bottom and disappearing into the willows. next to the creek, next thing a doe follows and a smaller buck chases another doe to about 270 yards and stops. I continued checking the CRP where I last saw the 10 and I'm glad I did because here he came running back and jumping the fence. He was now at 250 yards with a doe making her way towards me. The other two does ran to catch up and the made their way up the hill to 40 yards and the 10 at 50 yards. My bare hands had been in the wind for about 30 minutes now and the daylight was about gone but I knew they'd make their way past me during shooting light. That's where I was wrong one of the does turned and ran in the CRP when the 10 pt began to make his way closer and he decided he wanted to chase her(Doe Gone Wrong). That's the last I saw of those two for the night but I still had two does standing at 40 yards but had no shot so I waited my hands barely being able to hold my bow. They turned back around and continued into the CRP and back towards where they came and it was dark. I couldn't believe it that was the closest I was to a shooter all year and I barely missed out. If I would have sat in my stand at the bottom of the will I would have had the buck at 15 yards and I debated about sitting there during the afternoon sit that morning. Looks like I'll be going with my gut feeling from now on.
I talked to my parents about coming home and they said we would be leaving around 9:00 to bring my back to college until Friday so I once again went out in the morning to see 3 bucks and a doe in a corn field one being a large shooter but they were to far away to really tell what they were. They left into the timber and I wouldn't see them or any other deer for the rest of the sit.