HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunter Ethics
Thread: Hunter Ethics
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM
pyclub1
Fork Horn

I agree that there should be a point restriction, even then people should let some of these 1st and 2nd year boned deer walk IMO. It will only help the deer herd and the QUALITY of the deer herd. As you said, a person that is just starting out I say shoot whatever you want to get a few deer under your belt. I didn't read what anyone else posted because this is my opinion and everyone is entitled to there own.. I passed up a 4.5 yr old buck on thur night that was close to 150" deer if he had both sides. He had a 5 point full right side and had the brow and G2 on his left side and the rack was broke clean off after the G2, 2 guys at work said they would have shot that buck for sure, I asked the simple question, WHY? Unless you would mount that deer there is no good reason for harvesting. My buddy said, someone else will shoot him during rifle season, I said, well, if I would have shot that buck he would have had 0% chance of making it till next year and possibly having a full rack, where if I let him go, he has a 50/50 chance of making through the hunting season. He's a 4.5 year old deer for sure and has made it through thus far, now he has a chance to make it through again.. You can only manage what YOU hunt, don't let the "he's gunna go over the hill and get shot" saying make a decision for you. Even public land can be managed by YOU the hunter. If you let him walk, you never know, he may make it through and be a monster in 2,3,4 yrs that you can harvest, you kill him at 1.5 yrs old, he WILL NOT GET ANY BIGGER. Just my thoughts... This is coming from a guy who hunts public land, not a thousand acres of prime private land and I have taken multiple big bucks... Manage what you have to hunt... Plus it sure is nice having that tag in your pocket when a biggen walks by....Good luck to all this season and be safe....