HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Public land hunting can be great, and it can suck!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 AM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Default Public land hunting can be great, and it can suck!

On public land, not only do you have competition with other deer hunters, but also with EVERY type of hunter and even fall anglers (if you are hunting near a body of water).

On Saturday, got up a 3:00 a.m. and was in position in my climber by 5:30. The wind was finally perfect for this really nice spot overlooking a swamp for the first time this season. It was cold and everything was looking good. I was filled with anticipation until I heard the voices of other humans. And they were getting closer. And they were the hooting, hollering voices of dog hunters. And then dogs came into the swamp. And so did the humans. Rabbit hunters. Trouncing right through "my" spot.

I waited it out to see if they jumped any deer but they didn't. I didn't expect they would since they were coming from downwind of me.

Of course I was ticked, but what could I do? I like to hunt the thick stuff, but so do rabbit hunters. Guess I'll stick to open hardwoods or pines on Saturdays!