HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New England Rut?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 07:13 AM
trmichels
Fork Horn

As a researcher, writer and author, one of my jobs is to know when the rut should occur. I've spent 10 years reseaching der - so that I could learnn more about their biolgy andn behavior. But, before we get into dates, let's define what the term "the rut" means.

The rut defines any activity that occurs as a result of breeding behavior, including, rubbing, scraping, breeding, trailing, chasing etc. After e-mailing the deer biologists of most states I've come to realize that 'the rut" meaning rubbing AND scraping, begins right around the last week of August for most northern and middle latitude states, earlier for many southen states.

Breeding generally begins in middle October, really kicks in about the last week of October and peaks during the second week of November (8-15th) and continues at noticeable levels into the second week of December, with breedding in many states occuring as late as January or early February.

We need to remember that during the "peak of the rut" (the one week of the year when more does get bred than any other wek) only 30% of the does get bred. That mens that the other 70% ae scattered throuhout the rut.

To find out when peak rut (peak Breeding occurs in you are, Google "Peak Rut Dates" or "Peak Whitetail breeding"

Then realize that peak sightings of bucks during daylight hours often occurs during the last two weeks of October, as the bucks cruise their rub routes, looking for trailing, chasing and breeding does.

This is often the bestime to hunt bucks, because htey are fairly predictable as to when and where they can be seen. Once a lotofdoes come nto estrus the bucks abandon their rub routes to follow the does, which makes them fairly un-predictable.

God bless, and good hunting,
T.R. Michels