HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunter Ethics
Thread: Hunter Ethics
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Gangly
Nontypical Buck

Hunting Ethics to me is simply abiding by the laws, both written and unwritten, when legally taking game.

If you can abide by that, I have no problem with what you kill, why you kill it, or how you kill it. Anybody that does have a problem with it needs to get off their high horse and walk a mile in another mans shoes. It doesnt take long to understand or comprehend the reasons why somebody chooses to take certain game a cetain way if you actually try to see it from their point of view.

People sometimes forget that hunting is more than a sport for some people, it's a means to put food on the table. People that hunt for food don't always have the luxury of passing up one deer for another because they can't take the chance on never coming across that second deer.

Personally, I hunt for meat first and foremost. The first legal deer I see is taking a dirt nap be it a buck, doe, spike, or button. If my first few deer are good size, I might will wait to fill my last tag on a mature buck, but I won't hesitate to take 4 does with 4 tags if I need the meat.

Fortunately, my financial status doesn't require that my family lives solely on what I bring home from hunting, but deer meet is far cheaper than angus beef so I try to pack the freezer when I can.