HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team 5 Bloodtrail Brothers Thread
Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM
ArtyJoe
Spike

Not a hit lister but I am running out of time as the Orange Army invades the Missouri woods this Saturday.

Got into the stand at 3pm this evening. My stand is up on a ridge with a trail that leads to a 3.5 acre food plot planted with Pennington Rackmaster. The plot is 30 yards behind me and the North wind is in my favor.

On the way in to my stand I sprinkled a few drops of Golden Estrus urine in an open shooting lane. Good thing I did as this guy came trotting up the ridge right on my trail at 4:15. He was moving quickly, heading right towards the food plot. Once he hit the urine he stopped. He gave me a perfect quartering away shot.

My arrow hit a little more forward than I liked but I knew it was a good hit. Both of his front legs were not working as he headed straight back down the ridge with his chin on the ground. He ran, then rolled, a couple flips and he was done. All within my sight. He went maybe 60 yards.

Normally I would not shoot a small buck but I am going for my first Missouri 6 pack slam ( a buck and doe in the first half of bow season, a buck and a doe in the rifle season and a buck and a doe in the second half of bow season) so I had to get a buck down before this Saturday.