HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - VA Opener
Thread: VA Opener
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM
dakine999
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Congrat's!
No Story??? How far of a shot, how far did he go? where'd ya hit him?
(BP)
Alright here goes .........
Climbed down from my stand a little early on Saturday morning to take a walk around the farm. Probably walked about 1.5 miles and decided to check one last spot before I headed back to the house. It is a little 1/4 acre overgrown clearing that you can see from the farm road next to a mix of standing oaks and pines that is a travel corridor from a big block of woods and an 8 acre cut corn field. The clearing is fairly hard to see from the road because of all the brush and briars. As I get close to the clearing I slowed down because I know the deer use this area alot. As soon as I get to a point that I can see thru the briars I spot this buck on the tree line about 70 yards away. In front of it about 30 yards is a doe. I slowly walk up the road about 10 yards and sit on the ground where there is literally about a 1 ft opening to shoot thru. The doe doesn't offer me a shot but the buck does so I take it. All that is exposed is the deers head and neck so I put the crosshairs on the base of the neck as far back as I can and squeeze the trigger. I don't know if it was the slight breeze or the BH209 but I watched the deer drop on the spot. I just started shooting BH209 this summer so this is my first kill using loose powder!