HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fair?
Thread: Fair?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 AM
dstubb
Typical Buck

Default Fair?

Okay here is my story and before i begin let me clarify by saying that i am not claiming innocence. I live in Ohio and the county i hunt is located in zone "B" according to the Ohio DNR. In zone B the rule book says that you are allowed to shoot 3 doe's and one buck this year. In Ohio two types of deer tags are available and they are as follows: Either sex tag for $25 and a antlerless tag for $15. So far this season i have used two either sex tags and tagged two doe's. This past weekend i purchased a third either sex tag and headed off into the woods in search of my big 2012 buck. After striking out on my hunt Sunday night i climbed out of my tree and headed back to the truck. As soon as i could see my vehicle my heart started racing over the sight of what i thought were flashing police lights sitting in front of my vehicle. After a nervous 15 minute hike back to my vehicle i hear a voice say "Sir...how many deer have you shot this year?" i said "what?" He then proceeds to tell me that i have shot two doe's and used an either sex tag on both. He then asks me for my hunting license and deer tag, which i politely agreed to, and that's when he say's that he is going to write me a $220 fine for hunting without a deer tag which is a class 3 misdemeanor. Btw this guy was a Ohio Wildlife Officer. He goes on to explain to me that in zone B you are indeed allowed three doe's and one buck, but you can only use two of the either sex tags. I admit that i should have read the regulations manual a little better but in my defense it is very confusing and it even took him a few minutes to locate that rule. I just feel like a little mercy could have been given along with a written warning. It's not as if i was out there knowingly poaching, and i have no criminal history. What are you thoughts on the incident? Should i just pay the fine online or show up to court and explain to the judge that it was just an honest mistake and ask for a little mercy?

Last edited by dstubb; 11-06-2012 at 10:55 AM.