HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone ever use Ozonics?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Jackson Bowner
Fork Horn

I bought one before season last year. I was not happy at all with its performance toward the end of hunting season last year. Since they advertise as moneyback guarantee, I wrote to Ozonics and told them how poorly it performed. In my letter to them, I wrote in detail about how I take great care before I go into the field to be clean and am as sent free as possible. I always hunt with the wind in my face (their webpae suggests you should set it up facing downwind and let te ozone flow over you). My intention has always been to use it to cover my backside just in case something comes in from behind. As I mentioned, I take great care to be ordor free before going into the woods. I shower with scent free soap, use deodorant, floss and brush teeth, wear Scentlock head to toe, and wipe any sweat with scent free tissue I carry with me after I walk in.

Depending on the tree you are going to mount the bracket on, it is sometimes difficut to position the Ozonics unit so the ozone flows down over you all the time. That's because the wind rarely blows directly in front or behind you. Rather, it will blow on an angle and the bracket just isn't long enough to position it out over you. Regardless, even when the unit is positioned exactly correct with the ozone flowing down over your "scent profile", I have only observed about a 2 in 10 effective rate of covering scent when a deer is downwind of me and sometimes I wonder if those 2 just would have walked by without picking uo my scent anyway.

This year, I have not had any luck whatsoever with Ozonics effectiveness. Every downwind encounter has resulted in a bust. The exception was yesterday when an 8 point buck walked right past my stand on the backside about 8 yards from the tree. But, I wasn't using the ozonics machine at the time anyway. He was just geeked up with testosterone and could have cared less.

I really believe in the effectiveness of ozone to eliminate scent. Google searches have shown that the technology has been around a long time. It has been used by clean up companies after a fire to elimate the smoke smell for a long, long time. Either the Ozonics machine doesn't produce enough ozone; it distribution sytem doesn't throw the ozone out far enough; or the wind disperses the ozone erradically; or some combination of the above, but it has just not proven effective in my opinion. Maybe it would work better inside of a blind...I don't know and haven't used it in that type of setting. I have only used it in my treestand. If you are considering buying one, I would suggest waiting and seeing if an upgraded model or different manufacturer comes into the picure in the next few years. And to all those celebrity hunters who have slapped their endorsement on Ozonics.....shame on you for prostituting yourself! I seriously doubt you have had any real time experiences different than mine.

PS. I did send my unit into Ozonics last year. They sent me a different unit that had been checked out by them. There was no difference in the performance between the two units.