HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzleloader, What' s the best kind?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2003, 02:59 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzleloader, What' s the best kind?

Great number to choose from and many good ones at that. I would say yourt looking at 280-500 depending on make, model and features. I have been using the rem 700 mls for 6 years and never had a problem, it gets great accuracy and easy to clean. Speaking of cleaning it isn' t as bad as one thinks, as long as you can take the breech out of an inline, it as simple as flushing with hot/soapy water and then running some clean patches through till they come clean. You' ll find more time is spent cleaning the rest of the gun. But from dirty to spick and span no more than 15 minutes. The key is doing it as soon as possible, as the powder sits it becomes hard to remove and after long periods can cause pitting and damage. I would suggest that you look at a SS barrel vs blue and synthetic stock vs wood. They just seem to with stand the BP and subs better and are much easier to determine when clean.

Loading is a snap and you have your choice of powders in loose or pellet forms for subs (such as 777 or pyrodex). Drop in your powder, use the ramrod to seat the bullet, put on a cap or 209 and pow. Accuracy when using the new inlines is very good and many shoot excellent groups for even CF' s with todays offerings in guns, primer, powder and bullets. Finding a load that is best suited for your particular gun and needs is a little tougher than a CF but the same princples hold true...trial and error are the words of the day with MLing and load combo' s.

They truly are a blast to shoot/tinker with and I have yet to run into many who didn' t become hooked on the sport. Highly reccomended and some patience is required with learning, shooting and cleaning but well worth it.