HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone ever use Ozonics?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 AM
BrushyHillGuide
Spike

Ozonics offered me a unit to test and I've been on the fence about taking them up on it because of mixed reviews I've gotten from some of our hunters and other guides I know. I had a client last week that brought one to the ranch and used it in one of my stands. Now, the wind was blowing from his 10 o'clock to his 4 o'clock and he was shooting out into a sendero (ranch road, for all you Yankees!) about 15 yards from the blind. Does kept coming in, walking down the sendero, from his right side; and every time they did, they would blow and haul butt outta there. Now, I'm borderline obsessive about brushing in my popups (especially since I just had an article published on the subject, lol!) so I KNOW they didn't see the blind. Since the wind shouldn't have been an issue, and I made sure to spray him (and his gear) down before I put him in the stand, the only thing I could figure has spooking them was the smell of the ozone. I told him, via text, to shut the Ozonics off and see what happened. 30 minutes later he had 3-4 does and 2 young bucks standing within 20 yards and he killed a nice mature doe. Right before dark he shot 2 decent (140 pound) hogs at 10 and 15 yards.

Was it the ozone smell or coincidence? Who knows. I suspect the ozone, though.

Given the mixed reviews, and considering who posted some of each side, I think it's usefulness depends on the deer (or other game) in the area you're hunting. If the game is pressured, I think the ozone smell will spook them; because they are wary enough to alert to ANYTHING that's out of the ordinary. If you're hunting a private property that's very low pressured the deer are far less apt to be spooky about that odor and it's certainly better than human odor.

Is it 100% foolproof or God's gift to bowhunters? Definitely not. Especially not for the price tag. A $5 bottle of scent killer from Walmart is at least 90% as effective without any other smell tagging along; and it's a lot easier on the wallet. If $450 is "pocket change" for you, then it's something that's probably a great tool to have to play with and use in the right conditions. Otherwise, I think most hunters can find plenty of better things to spend that much money on.

Since I have access to one to try out, I may give it a shot on some hogs after deer season. But, given what I've seen happen and the mixed reviews, I'm not going to take a chance on it ruining one of my (or one of my clients') hunts. I'll stay somewhat open-minded until I run it past some hogs' noses; but I'm sure not scrambling for the phone to accept a unit to review.

Remember, the very best scent prevention is the wind in your face and a well hidden stand! We've been killing big deer with bows like that since LONG before Ozonics was ever dreamed of. Hunting has become a victim of advertising and you can't believe the hype 99.999% of the time. Products don't make you more successful, experience and the knowledge that comes with it does.

Hope this helps. Have a great season!