HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First shot: Savage Axis 7mm-08
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 06:02 PM
handles II
Fork Horn

Update:
After watching a few youtube videos and, reading about it and the results on several other shooting/hunting sites, I decided to trim the trigger spring on the Axis. I figure if it doesn't turn out how I like for $85-100 I can put in a new/better trigger.
1. This was unbelievably simple. Maybe took 5 minutes. Unlike on some videos, keep the box magazine in the gun, it keeps the stock in one part vs. three. Also, no need to remove the bolt, just open it up. Saves one more step.
I first cut 1 1/4 coil off the spring. Put things back together and checked the trigger, it broke at between 4lb 9oz and 5 lb 3oz on four different attempts. Decided to take just shy of another 1/2 coil off. Trigger broke at 3.9-3.6. and decided to stay there for now. Shortening the spring added a bit of creep to the trigger, but at least its an "engaged" feeling. It seems acceptable.
I'll hopefully get a chance to re-sight in this weekend and give another update. Good luck to those hitting the woods this weekend such as MN hunters... be smart, be safe, get back to your families in good shape.

Last edited by handles II; 10-31-2012 at 11:04 AM.