HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stand height
Thread: Stand height
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 09:41 PM
On_Point
Typical Buck

I use a climber stand 90% of the time & Ive found that I have a tendency to believe I'm a lot higher than I really am. In some trees I have a good idea of how high I can climb by limbs or a low canopy stopping my assent, but in trees that I can literally climb 50' or higher I still don't climb very high. Rarely do I even climb to the points that would stop me, though while on the ground don't seem that high.

Recently I went hunting with my Dad & was showing him how to use my Summit. I climbed to what I perceived to be 20' or so & stopped. I told him he shouldn't go much higher, thinking I was higher than what he would even consider climbing. He asked me how high I thought I was & I replied, 20' or so. He laughed & told me I wasn't more than 12 or 15' off the ground. I said he was crazy, so he hit me with his range finder & I was at 14'. Then, like any good father would, he dared me to climb to 20', which I did, but I wasn't happy about it.

Since then Ive been going higher with my climber & letting my 20' tow line stop my assent, instead of my height perception.

Anyone else have that problem?