HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - All the deer have disappeared.
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 05:14 AM
thomasmgp
Fork Horn

Default All the deer have disappeared.

Sandy has decided it would be funny to send 20-25 mph winds to my area since Thursday with gusts up to 40 mph. Even with the high winds its a full moon weekend and with the rut going strong I figured the deer would still be walking around and bucks would still be seeking out does and you cant kill anything from your sofa.

I have hunted 10 hours every day since Thursday and havent seen or spooked anything and Im not hearing anyone else around me shoot either. I even called the local processing plant that gets a ton of deer each season and they said the numbers being brought in have dropped drastically.

I have tried 5 different stands in various locations always hunting each one at a different time the following day so not to try and let them figure out a pattern of when Im there. Also Im going through tons of scent away because of the strong winds but the wind is blowing in a way that Im always down wind from where the food and areas they usually appear from anyways. The deer arent eating my corn piles and arent on my cameras. Even hunting stands that I thought would be good in high winds because they offer good shelter close by as well as food and water and still nothing.

We dont get a lot of high winds here so have all the deer just gone into hiding? With the rut going I figured bucks would still be chasing does but thats just not the case cause like I said no one else is shooting and very few deer are being brought in to be processed.

Am I just wasting my time and just getting my scent everywhere each time I go out to a stand? The wind is supposed to die down Tuesday or Wednesday. If I stop hunting and just wait until then to hunt again will the deer just be everywhere because they have been laid up for so long? We have just never had this much high wind and definitely not for 4-5 straight days during deer season so I dont know what to do.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 10-28-2012 at 05:16 AM.