HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bad day in the field...
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 02:36 PM
dzine23
Spike

Default Bad day in the field...

I guess you have to take the best of days hunting with the worst.

Today was a tough one.

Decided to use the decoy this morning. Set it up about 25 yards off my climber. I was settled in about 30 minutes before daybreak. About an hour into the morning I had a big buck approach the decoy. He stopped about 15 yards from the decoy...about 40 yards from my stand. He stayed absolutely still for about five minutes before approaching the decoy and circling all the way around. As he turned toward the back of her I let my shot rip. At the time he was about 20 yards out.

It wasn't a pass thru but I thought I hit him nicely. The arrow stayed in him as he bolted deeper into the corn field. He slowed down about 150 yards into the field and came to a stop. I hit him with the eyeglasses and could immediately see a blood spot about the size of a softball on the entry side. The arrow must have fallen out/broke off during the retreat.

He stood motionless for about 5 minutes. After that he walked slowly up the cornfield until he sat down. I could see him rocking his head back and forth...I thought it was the end.

He sat there for 20 minutes. I didn't want to spook him so I backed out of my stand and went home (quarter mile away) to give him time to expire. On my way home I hit him with the glasses one last time. All I saw above the beat-down cornstalks was his monster rack. He was a beautiful 8 point.

That's the last I saw of him.

I waited over two hours and went back with my dad to recover the trophy. Like I said....nothing. I went to the spot I last saw him and found a moderate pool of blood. We followed the blood trail about 50 yards deeper into the cornfield...until the trail disappeared. No blood anywhere. We searched the closest block of woods and the field for seven hours.

This is so frustrating... I thought the shot location was good...about 2 inches back of the shoulder. I have to believe he sat down and was able to clot up enough to be able to walk off.

I hate knowing an injured animal is potentially downed in the woods...especially a prize buck. Does anyone have any suggestions? So disappointed.

Thx.