HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What would you do in this situation?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 02:44 PM
early in
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by timmyzimmy
That's a pickle of a question. The absolute right thing to do is put the animal down. Tag or no tag. What if you saw and shot the 8 pt first and were tagged out. Now what?

And again, tough call if your in the wrong state and can't legally tag it anyway. I've seen hunters "do the right thing", call the Warden and I personally will NEVER call them without MY arse being completely covered. They see everything Black and White. Which is what they're paid to do.

For me it's a moral question. Although, I think my answer is the same regardless of legality. Because they will someday write the law: if you have this situation, you must harvest (you should) and tag that animal (you shouldn't have too). So now, your in the wrong place at the wrong time? And I lose my season because of it. I have to shoot a buck I didn't want to and now I'm tagged out..... I don't think so Tim. We all know being in the right place at the right time is tough enough.

I know I'll hear VIOLATOR... but

I put him down, I don't tag him, and put him in the freezer. And I feel like a honorable and ethical hunter. And I sleep very well.
Great post. I totally agree with this thinking, except I would have left the deer for the other creatures. I'd just spare that (illegal buck in Pa) deer a lot of misery and that's it.