HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team #10 - Chasin' Tail Check-in
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 AM
henson59
Fork Horn

I was just curious what you guys think. Right now my family and I are in the process of buying our neighbors 124 acres in SE Indiana. It would bring us up to 211 acres total.
The property is really hilly and we have no farm crops near us. Of the 124 acres 114 is woods with a few small clearings the other 10 is the house, out buildings and yard. This property was logged 10-12 years ago and most of the trees are not mature yet and the under growth is really thick. We also have a few thick cedar areas.
My plan starting next year is to plant some killing plots in the small clearings (beets and forage oats) and on some of the bigger clearings on our original 87 acres I will plant nutrition plots of clover and chickory. Also we will have a few mineral sites around the property. Since the new property has thick undergrowth I believe it to be perfect for bedding and cover, pair that with my food plots I would think I should have no trouble holding and growing good deer. Also we have 4 ponds on the 211 acres. so that helps too!

Our neighbors to the north and east of us are big on deer and land management and we are going to work on a plan together to hopefully grow some big boys. I am not sure about our guys to the west and south. But you never know until you talk to people I guess.

I know there are a few good bucks in my area along with an over population of doe's. I think for the next few yrs I am going to try and focus on killing more doe's. We have a retired IN game warden and his son that we let hunt our land and I think I am going to require them to at least take 1-2 doe each year to try and bring the population down. If I can remove 4-6 Doe a year that should help.

What do you guys think? should I be doing something else along with the above plan?