HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Off topic, deer harvest minus black powder
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 PM
oldsmellhound
Nontypical Buck

Default Off topic, deer harvest minus black powder

Hey everyone,

This should be in the bow or crossbow forum, but I don't post there, so I thought I'd post on my recent deer harvest. Unfortunately it wasn't with a muzzy, but that season doesn't start for almost 2 more months, so I feel I should be pardoned for my sin of using an inferior weapon.

I went back to Ohio to get a couple of days in bow hunting early season. The first afternoon I was out, I was enjoying myself 20 feet up on a very nice early fall day:

I hadn't been up there more than 30 minutes when this youngster shows up:

It originally showed up 5 feet from my tree and I got ready to shoot. However, upon further examination I saw that it was a very young and small deer, so I decided to pass on it. So I watched it eat acorns for 20 minutes or so until the next deer showed up:

Now this one was even smaller than the first which got me second guessing myself - "Maybe I should have shot that first one.... I only have 4 or 5 days of deer hunting each year..."

But less than an hour after I saw these deer, I saw a buck in the brush about 60 yards away. It just was standing there for the longest time, looking my way. Eventually it meandered on down towards me and presented me with a 15 yard shot.

At the shot, it wheeled around and took off in a stumbling run. I knew I had hit it good, because I could actually see blood shooting from its chest as it ran. It made it about 50 yards and I saw it crash less than 10 seconds after I shot it.

Not the biggest buck I've gotten, and certainly not a wall-hanger, but I got a lot of good meat out of it, and it was a mighty fine hunt.

Now I'm just pumped to get one with my muzzy in December!