HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Please help, total newb here (which gun, etc)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Kamel
Spike

Hey guys, I couldn't thank you enough for your responses!

I'm sorry it took so long to respond, I was checking for responses and after a couple of days forgot about my post. Glad I checked back.

At any rate, I had considered the Mossberg 88 option. From the research I've done it seems the Mossberg 88 is identical, but the parts are crafted out of different materials in some cases and made in Mexico (I could be wrong, I'm no expert).

The issue I had with that option would be the price after getting the barrel. In my searching, it looked like a barrel costs almost as much as a Mossberg 88. This would mean the combo would cost less than buying a barrel and a Mossberg 88 with another barrel. Then I'd also have the lesser model, but honestly that doesn't bother me much just a thought.

Is a rifled slug barrel important to get? What are the advantages of using a rifled slug barrel verses just firing a slug out of a smooth bore barrel? From what I understand, sabot rounds can only be fired from a rifled barrel, is that right?

Thanks again!