HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - minimum speed for hunting
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 AM
burniegoeasily
Dominant Buck

As already mentioned, you will need the right spine arrow, which is a measure of how much the arrow will bend. With that said, foc will affect your spine. The more head weight you have, the heavier spine you will need. Where as the opposite is true for a lighter head. A lighter spine will be needed for a lighter head. What you are trying to accomplish is getting your arrow paradox to curve around your riser/grip with no contact.

AS for speed, speed is relative. Kinetic Energy is the key. I am a bowyer, and my personal hunting bows for Boar, Deer, and the likes, I tiller to pull around 65-70lbs at my draw. Which is more than needed, you can get by with 45lbs. The key is to get a heavy enough arrow and enough foc to penetrate. With my bows, I like to have a 550-600 + grain arrow, with a head ranging from 125 grains to 165 grains, which gives me about a 11% to as much as 18% foc, respectively. Some like even more foc and go with up to 200 grain heads. I have not hunted with a light bow, but have made many for other people. With 45lb bows bows set up for deer, I set them up with 350+ grain arrow and around 14% foc. It seems to do the trick.

All of the above will need to be accounted for when getting a bow ready to hunt with. When all that is taken care of, shooting form is the next step.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 09-28-2012 at 11:52 AM.