HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How would you handle this situation?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 04:53 AM
sdhunter11
Typical Buck

That is a tough one, i believe god put scavengers on this earth for the hunters mistakes lol. What if the coyote/fox had some sort of disease? You probably could salvage the front shoulder and some of the backstrap and neck meat but there is always going to be that thought in the back of your head that some nasty critter ate it before you did.

I am probably one of the few hunters that doesnt like leaving deer overnight. Yesterday evening when i was in the stand i tried counting coyotes as they all started howling from different directions. I came up with 23 by the time they were done howling. Had a buddy last year that let a buck lay overnight and the coyotes had everything gone up to the neck by morning. he still tagged it and kept the horns and bought doe tags to fill the freezer.

If i have evidence that i hit a deer well i follow up on them after dark. If i bump them i dont have much of choice but to wait till morning. Even when it is light out i only give them about 10 minutes before i find my arrow and look for blood. The way i see it, if they arrow is caked in blood and there is a good blood trail and you are confident you made a good hit. Why cant you follow up in a short amount of time?