HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Method: You've a long hike, it's cold and you WILL sweat profusely
Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 AM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

Been there done that 7.62. I used to hunt on a large (12k+ acre) ranch in southern MO for 20yrs and some of the woodlots up there were over a mile across and I had some stands DEEP within those woodlots. (And being southern MO it was VERY steep and hilly terrain so it was no easy, flat walking) After several years of various tactics dealing with clothes and equipment, I finally came up with a system that I thought worked perfectly and was actually quite cheap!

It came to me one day while sitting in the stand tired from a long walk in with my rifle slung over my back while holding my bulky coat and bibs. I thought, "I need a LARGE, nearly weightless, mesh type backpack to carry all this crap in." I wanted mesh so I it would breath so that I wouldn't sweat between it and my back and I wanted it to essentially collapse into nothing so I could hide it under the leaves at the base of my stand while hunting. Suddenly a plastic/nylon mesh decoy bag made perfect sense. It will hold EVERYTHING you can carry (INCLUDING your rifle if you want to!) and they are available from many mfgrs for $20-$30. I bought an Avery mesh decoy bag. (Click on the link to see the pic)

http://www.averyoutdoors.com/images/...ng_enviro2.jpg