HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Video we have done like this!
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

This thread has cracked me up. Hunting forums are known for placing deer on a pedestal above all other animals. It's pretty funny actually. They are deer not unicorns. Cool video, congrats to your boy. I too love deer drives, it's actually fairly common in the real world. It was also one of the most effective methods used by many tribes of Native Americans(before and after guns became the weapon of choice).

Furgitter had you posted a video of Fred Bear(or any other founding father of bowhunting) taking down a running animal or slinging arrows at animals 60+ yards away you would have got a much different response. It is what it is.

Hitting a deer size set of vitals at 5-10 yards (even if the deer is on the move) is not that difficult. Had the buck been standing boadside or quartering away and you spine shot it they would have loved that video and you would not have seemed unethical at all to them. Just wait til you see all the threads where somebody took a "perfect" shot but hit the deer back or high or low or whatever and they just can't find their deer. Then they'll get on the internet and start looking for it with their keyboard. Shockingly most never find them. But hey the deer was standing still and broadside. They will get attaboys and encouragemnet to get on out there and try again, classic.

When bowhunting I also don't stop a slowly walking calm deer with a "urp" or a "mehhh" or any of that. Why would I want to alert them? Inside 20 yards I aim at the the heart and let her eat. Works for me.

Last edited by NEW61375; 09-25-2012 at 11:39 AM.