HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is this buck big enough for ya ?? (picture)
Old 10-28-2003, 07:27 AM
Zelazny

Default RE: Is this buck big enough for ya ?? (picture)

by23856 - Not even close

Bowhuntrey - They are all pictures of pictures (except the skull).

atlasman - Wow, I never knew a couple of pictures of big bucks would raise the challenges of ethics and game farming @!

Heres the deal. This place is several thousand acres of public land. Its strictly managed by a resident draw system that allows for bowhunting only to a very few people. Only a handfull of bucks come off it each year as a result of the strict system. These bucks are 100% wild deer in an area that isn' t really known for large racked bucks. How is it possible ? Age and nutrition. Most of the big bucks they find dead and/or are killed are like 3.5 - 5.5 and older. They found sheds of a 230" non-typical and had a 200" non-typical (gross) killed there. 1.3 - 1 doe/buck ratio from what I' ve been told.

Wheres the challenge ? I hunted there for 3 days already and I' ve seen 3 does and a small buck. The place is unreal thick and nasty, and I like hunting thick and nasty. I might very well hunt there the next 2 weeks and not see a big buck. Public land hunting, surrounded by private land that gets hunted hard = smart bucks. This is no gimmee hunting, its an opportunity to hunt in an area that has quality deer as opposed to hunting an area that has probably just as many deer, just not as quality.

I will keep taking my camera to my stand as I hunt this place and hope to snap a few of the big ones that come through - hopefully. Might even arrow one with my longbow !