HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 8 pt. bowkill
Thread: 8 pt. bowkill
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 PM
rutt
Fork Horn

Default 8 pt. bowkill

I posted a picture of this buck earlier today after checking my trail camera this morning.This was my fourth sit for this buck.I have been getting trail camera shots on and off of this buck for about the last month or so when it started making somewhat regular appearences in my woods.The first three sits for this critter produced no sightings.Then when I'd check the camera the next day,it would be on there.The last pictures I got of this buck was from yesterday,just before 5 pm(picture I posted here earlier).Of course I didn't hunt there yesterday.So today I decided I'd go after this thing early in the afternoon and sit until dark.The day was very quiet with no deer sightings until around 1800 hrs. when a small 6 pointer came by at 25 yards munching on acorns and greens.All was quiet again after that until about 1830 when I saw the body of another deer making its way through the woods and heading in my direction.At first I couldn't tell what it was,due to all the foliage.
As the deer got closer I immediately noticed that it was the 8 pt. that I had been getting regular pictures of.With dusk coming on fast,I was hoping the deer would get to shooting range before it got to dark.Then I lost sight of the buck.Looking around,I couldn't understand how it had disappeared.Then suddenly it was 15 yards out in front of me broadside but partially hidden by some small brush and saplings.It stood there for about 2 minutes before it finally took a couple of steps and gave me a clear shot to its vitals.I drew back,settled the pin on its left shoulder and touched off the shot.At the shot the deer mule kicked and took off.A few seconds later,I heard a crash and then silence.I then made a few calls to get some help and climbed down.Once on the ground,I found my arrow buried in the ground with blood right at the site of the hit.My buddy arrived a short time later and we followed an easy blood trail right to the buck 75 yards away.Upon inspecting the deer I saw that my arrow had passed completely through both shoulders before exiting the right side and burying in the ground.I shot the deer with my '10 Strother black death 70 lb. SR 71.Arrows are 376 grain 250 CX Maxima hunters tipped with 100 grain Ramcats.I'm getting 337 fps("29 draw) with this Crackerized beauty.This was the first time I used Ramcats,and they performed great.Only one blade has a slightly bent tip.I'll fix that.Going to make some serious venison hotdogs out of this critter.Had to rush the pictures,(have to be in work)so I'm not to thrilled with them but it'll do.

Picture from yesterday