HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A good problem to have...what would YOU do?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 AM
NorthJeff
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HighUpHunter
Hey guys. New to this forum, but not at all new to hunting. I live in upstate NY. Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. A couple months ago, my dad decided he was looking for a change of pace career wise, and took a job as a caretaker for an estate. This property is 600 acres, and we have sole hunting rights. The owner lives in NYC and only visits the mansion a couple times a year, and "doesn't have time" to hunt. So with the season fast approaching, I've been scouting it when I can get out there (I live an hour away), and so has he. Trails cameras have been placed and we've started to put together a few pieces, but this puzzle is far from complete (and let's face it, this is hunting...it's never complete).

Some background on the property. 600 acres, about 85% wooded. Lots of beech and ash with some grown in fields. Quite hilly in some spots, with lots of logging roads running through it. Large open field on top, connected to a large swamp. A couple small ponds on the property. I've hung some stands in good looking funnels and know for a fact that I will be putting my climber to good use. But what would you do? How would you go about hunting a new property on relatively short notice. We haven't had the opportunity to establish food plots and don't want to disturb the woods too much, trying to scout it this close to the season. It's been a long time since I've had to figure out new property like this, aside from state land. Thanks guys!

-Zach
Zach,

I would eliminate all of the consistent habitat areas. For example similar hardwoods, similar swamp, similar field areas...basically shade out all of those areas on the map...EXCEPT the habitat changes. For example where a mature hardwoods transitions into a swamp at the base of a ridge. Add in a water source, pond, creek etc. and you have 4 habitat changes coming together in 1.

Concentrate on areas away from the roads...and hone keep your focus on the most remote areas.

I bet you can eliminate 90% of that 600 acres. And that's the key...eliminate those large similar habitat type areas...and ignore them. Stay focused on those changes.

Then, when you have those changes, highlight them, all. Look for Xs or Ts of habitat change lines...hunt those and hunt those areas for good access for yourself and for downwind stand locations. Also, focus on stems per acre for the better bedding areas...especially raised islands of daytime security cover surrounded by high stem counts of low bush, hardwood regen, early successional growth...etc.

Good luck...Sounds fun, but don't get to bogged down in the details. The details will kill you