HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is this buck big enough for ya ?? (picture)
Old 10-27-2003, 09:40 PM
atlasman

Default RE: Is this buck big enough for ya ?? (picture)

Where is the challenge in hunting a place like that?? Seriously. I never really understood the excitement in just picking the biggest deer out of a crowd and whacking it.

How proud could you possibly be of a deer taken from that field?? It' s like fishing in a privately stocked pond full of 8 lb largemouths........sure it' s fun but the feeling of accomplishment just isn' t the same.

Now take a deer like that in a place where no one even dreams of deer that big and you have yourself a lifelong trophy you can be proud of.

Taking nothing away from the deer of course......they are awesome!!!

BTW there are more then one thing about this thread that don' t seem to jive.

If this land is so strictly managed how can it be public??........who is doing the managing??.......and if anyone can hunt there then it would be impossible to manage because you don' t know who is hunting and even if you do they are under no obligation to follow any rules other then the DEC laws.

Also, I find it VERY hard to believe that if a place like this existed and it was public......no one would know about it. EVERYONE for 3 counties in each direction would be posted on that field 24-7 until all those deer were on a wall somewhere.

Getting a deer out of a place that is crawling with them like roaches is a lot more killing then it is hunting. JMO.

Give me a call sometime and you can come hunt my state land where you are lucky if you even SEE a deer. I have been out 6 FULL days already this year and not seen a single deer. Anything with 6 pts or better is a REAL nice deer and the thought of letting something walk by never even crosses your mind.........unless you know a good recipe for carcass tags

Now that is hunting

I have always said that the land a person gets to hunt is the biggest factor in that hunters success level. Imagine the racks you would have on your wall if you hunted this spot every year and got to scout it all offseason???

Would that make you a great hunter?? or a good hunter that has access to a great spot??

Enough ranting..............sweet deer []