HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Video we have done like this!
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 AM
On_Point
Typical Buck

Let me ask, what was so unethical? Is driving deer unethical? Is shooting a moving deer unethical? Is a head shot unethical? The word keeps being thrown around, but I'm not sure you folks even know what you're talking about.

An ethical hunter knows his capabilities & limitations, applies the fair chase rules to the game he's hunting, respects the state regulations & honors the game by basically eating it.

So what hunter ethics did Mike & his son violate?

How bout those head hunters on tv that hunt for nothing more than a trophy, sponsor $$$ & ratings, is that ethical? Is hunting for the sport of it ethical, when those hunters put the head on their wall & end up donating the meat to pantries? Does that seem ethical?

Is it unethical for you to shoot a deer broadside at 40 yards? It would be for me, because I'm only comfortable shooting out to 25 yards. But it's not my place to tell you what you're capable of. That's your call.

How is a head shot any different? If your confident in your shooting ability, how is that unethical? And btw, many deer management operations prefer a head shot deer because a bullet in the brain kills on impact. Unlike a heart & lung shot which does not. So how is killing a deer immediately more unethical than causing a deer to suffer while bleeding out. The only way I see a head shot to be unethical is if the shooter is unconfident in the shot & is relying on luck to put the game down.

If one looks to P&Y, B&C, NRA, NAHC, etc to define hunting ethics, you'll see that Mike & his son are hunting within the guidelines of said ethics. Though their abilities may be different than our own, they are still hunting within the guidelines set forth.

Last edited by On_Point; 09-18-2012 at 10:59 AM.