HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lunar questions
Thread: Lunar questions
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I have chimed in on this moon stuff many times over the years, and here is my personal opinion based upon several years of totally unscientific data my best hunting bud and I kept ... looking for any "patterns".

Short of it ... based upon our personal observations hunting 40-60 days each of several consecutive seasons here in SE Alabama, I would not plan my hunting around the moon "phases". We just did not see enough "moon phase pattern" to make this anything more than a subject to toss around.

There were two and only what I'd call minor two patterns we saw .... full moon, clear overnight sky the deer tended to move later in the day and much, much later in the afternoon. "Dark" moon, the deer tended to move more all day long ... in general more.

The No.1 pattern maker ? Clearly weather. Abnormally hot, with SE-S-SW winds .... may as well sleep in. Cold front coming in, especially accompanied by a light drizzle or sleet, be in the woods unless the winds are very high (25 mph +/-). Snow ? Locked down all day each of the times we went after them in during ,or a day or two after a 2" - 6" snow (which is very rare here). Cool rainy day .... be there when it stops. Extremely cold .... say 15F or below? About mid morning when the sun popped out and started to warm up the woods, deer would move pretty good.

Moon stuff may be a big deal elsewhere around the USA ... or our collection of data and my engineering back ground analysis did not show any strong patterns related to moon phase. And believe me I worked the data over !! Maybe what we did was so flawed that our "work" was of no real value. I am not sure. All I know is if I can go, I go. Come hail, high water, rain, snow, heat or limb snapping cold ... I am in the deer woods every day I am able.