HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What spine for a longbow?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 AM
nyorange
Fork Horn

Thanks for the recomendations. Been shooting the 45lber with no problems. Seemed a lot heavier the first time i tried it and only used the exerciser 5 times so that didn't do it. After thinking on it I decided to go with carbon arrows. If i am going to go through all the trouble of setting this up I might as well use carbon arrows. I have been using some bare shafts I have scraped up and taken off the vanes, a 32 inch 400 Easton Excel with 125 grain head and a 30.5 inch .340 a/c (my compounds arrow) with 125 grain head. the .340 is angled to the left in the target, 400 seems to shoot okay and is straight but I will try a .500 spine just to be sure. I would like a 31-32 inch arrow. I seem to have the basic idea worked out and will solve it. My real question now is NOISE. I thought these things were suppose to be quiet. Makes sort of a badong sound???? As i shot the 340 to 400 the noise increased. Thinking now the 500 spine will be even lighter and make more noise. Will try and get a heavy GPI 400 and 500 spined arrow like a FMJ to test. Aside from arrow weight and silencers, i.e cat whiskers etc, how do I decrease the noise? Does changing brace height reduce the noise? According to martin website its supposed to be 7.25 to 7.75. its at 7.25 now. Does increasing BH reduce noise, decrease noise, increase speed or what? What am I looking to do with brace height? Also, the string it had was ratty looking so i got a new one, a 66 amo fast flite.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Also I strung up the bear bow and near the tip a piece of fiberglass is lifting which you could barely slide in a piece of paper. Going to epoxy it and clamp it. Can it be fixed that way or is it unuseable? Thanks again.