HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - usefulness of a stand in rifle, is it worth the extra $$$?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 AM
dylan_b
Fork Horn

Default usefulness of a stand in rifle, is it worth the extra $$$?

i have been shooting the crud out of my range rifle lately (just short of 3000 round count after this summer) and frankly its my only rifle that i really trust. i have been thinking about buying a remington 700 sps aac or sps stainless in 308 and utilising much lighter optics and accessories in favour of carrying around my now 16 pound 700 xcr LR. i know i will be taking a hit in the accuracy department but thats sort of a given. my worries are this, using 44.8 grains of rl15 im driving a 178 a max to 2790 so i know my barrel is defiantly running faster then normal ontop of being 26''. if i go to the sps aac i wont likely luck out and get another fast barrel plus it would only be 20'' so expected velocity is 2575 to 2600 given my loads average 2640 from a friends 5r (24''). if i go to a sps stainless i will be getting a 24'' tube but id be getting a lesser stock and thinner barrel which i dont mind but the finished package would be longer. im really not sure whats the best option, less velocity but having another rifle that can take some of the workload off the range rifle plus good for hunting or just a straight awesome deer rifle with a slight velocity loss. im considering only 308 and only a remington. please no shoulda bought a (fill blank).