HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which Sabots?
Thread: Which Sabots?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Here's the deal. I broke a rib, and won't be hunting the ML season this year. I'll be helping Jon get a bull, but I won't be hunting for myself.

So, I swapped my tag for a 2nd rifle bull elk tag. I'll still be using the MR for the hunt. It's an unusual CVA barrel, because it take s a .502 Thor bullet. This is my 7th CVA, and I never had one that big. It might even take a .503 Thor if I could get it started. I don't have one to try.

The problem is the bore is a bit bigger right over the powder. I'm not comfortable with a loose fit. I wouldn't want it moving off the powder before I noticed it. Not good for the gun, or my health.

So, with all that said. I'm thinking of using a sabot for a tighter fit. It's legal in Colorado for rifle seasons. I'm not up on what fits and what doesn't. I still like the Barnes bullet, but I don't know which bullet and sabot would work in my bore.

I'm also open to any other suggesting. Bull elk are tough, so I want a bullet that will stay together. Of course it has to be accurate too.

Whatcha think?
I think you will find the Barnes Tmz 290 gr with yellow sabot to fit good. I could send a couple if you want to make sure before you buy any.