HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team #10 - Chasin' Tail Check-in
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM
TeamWiscoUNIT61
Fork Horn

Rocky, nice to learn about how other people do things. Hope for your sake and all of ours you connect on a dandy. As for me my name is Kevin, I live in southeastern Wisconsin on about 12 acres, surrounded by farmland and some nature reserve. There are other houses and neighborhoods around on the other side of the street and we are not but 5 minutes from the busy parts but we are in the rural western part of the town. I do not hunt there full time, but i do have a couple stands up and even spotted this guy in the field a few weeks ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qg1AYZDEeQ (watch at about 1:50 when he turns his head)
I hunt in the west central part of the state along the mississippi river valley in Buffalo County, WI. We have been over there since 1996 and were introduced to QDMA by my Dad's long time friend and big state advocate of Quality Deer Management. We started on a 55 acre piece that my dad and uncle bought together. We hunted there for about 8 years until selling and getting into a 180acre piece. Just a few years ago we (my dad)_ sold out his half and went looking for our own piece 5 miles down the road. (land partnerships....tough thing to keep running smooth) So about a year and a half ago, we aquired an 80 acre piece. A bit smaller, but for what is ultimately me and my dad (and the occasional lucky friend) hunting it, it is plenty. Not to mention it is on a dead end road, with No pressure,the neighbor to the east owns 130acres and doesnt hunt, and all other neighbors are big QDM practicers. So here we are, last year was our first year on it, and we got a late start. had some select cut logging done,which disrupted the woods a bit, had no time to build the cabin so a trailer was the last minute solution, and we still had 4 encounters with shooter bucks. This year we have put in additional food plots, a 1/2 acre pond, and will have top access (last year there were no passable by vehicle roads to the top bluffs). We take our hunting seriously as i'm sure most do and are looking forward to a great season.