HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My season is SHOT!
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Default My season is SHOT!

Hello all,

First and foremost, I would like to wish all of you a great up and coming hunting season. Personally, I will not get to enjoy it as I did in previous seasons. One of the reasons is that I've been a full time student since Jan. 2011 and I have to take a minimum of 12 credit hours (4 classes) during the spring and fall semesters to maintain my Govt. funding which pays the whole shot (books, tuition, and unemployment wages).
Here's the problem, if it really is a problem...I was recentley hired by a Texas based firm as a salesman in one of their regional offices near my home. The starting salary was very good...topping what I previously made as a machinist by a considerable amount plus they have good benefits and VERY GOOD quarterly bonuses.
The jobsite is 45 minutes from home and it's 8-5 so I will not get home in time to hunt evenings...(especially after the daylight savings time changes) so I'll be lucky to squeak in a Saturday morning or afternoon here and there between working fulltime now and finishing up my last semester of school for my degree, which takes up a lot of my used-to-be free time.
Not to mention the fact that I'll be placed on call one week a month once I'm fully trained and there's no sense in sitting in a treestand or blind and having your phone go off at any time and you have to leave to take care of the customer.
At my age, I'm extremely thankfull to be back in the workforce but I will have to sacrifice my passions (hunting and fishing) for a paycheck. I hope none of you ever have to face this dilemma.

BPS