HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When to eat deer meat.
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 PM
country1
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by invmp12
The parasites you are talking about are there all year long. If you will talk to your butcher guy, he'll tell you that he will let that deer hang in the cooler for atleast 48-72 hours. That takes care of all that. He will let the hide stay on the animal during this time and the parasite will go to the hide. This is always done, if your butcher is worth his salt he'll let'em hang for a little. This has been told to me from numerous butchers and advised.
I have never heard of that one.

Most processing places want deer with the hide left on the deer. The reason is most people end up getting a lot of hair on the meat when they skin it themselves. The processing places use a hide puller to pull the hide off the deer.

When they do beef, I bet they don't quarter or halve the beef with the hide on it. Beef is killed, gutted, skinned, halved or quartered and hung to cool and age.

Reasons for hanging meat is to let the meat cool, age and tenderize. In the first few hours, the meat will get tougher. However, as the meat hangs and ages, the muscle tissue changes due to bacteria; and the meat becomes more tender. Aged meat will also have a different flavor.

I would not eat anything that had been in the fridge for a year.