HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What do you think about owning a bow shop?
Old 10-24-2003, 04:19 PM
John Deer
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you think about owning a bow shop?

This is a serious question about a decision I have to make. I am a 26 year old married guy who just got his college degree. My wife is getting her degree as well and will not graduate for a couple of years. I just got to try my hand at the occupation I thought I wanted to make a career of and it turns out I don' t like it.

Now here' s my Delima.....

I now have the opportunity to take over a local bow shop. e The owner doesn' t have the time to devote to the shop and I think he' s getting burned out. I have always wanted to own a shop like this and I' m excited at the opportunity to own it. It' s in a great location, there' s no other shops in the area and there are alot of hunters that live in the surrounding towns that need a place like this. The shop has been open for just under 3 years and from looking at the paperwork it looks like the owner is getting decent business.

I have spent all my time hunting and being in the outdoors since I was about 12 years old. I live and breathe this stuff. I know I would be happy doing this kind of work. My only concern is that I don' t have alot of experience working on bows. I know I can and will learn all the in' s and out' s and the current shop owner said he will stay on for awhile and teach me as much as possible and introduce me to all the reps. It' s a Bow-Tech dealer.

I think I can make a decent living at this and the enjoyment factor is a huge deal for me. I was just wanting some input from some fellow bow hunters. Obviously this is a personal decision but I thought by putting this in front of you all I might see something that would make my decision easier. Any suggestions are welcome.