HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I need to catch license plates...hoping for advice
Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 PM
wopachop
Spike

Default I need to catch license plates...hoping for advice

Hi everyone new here. Im a big fan of the outdoors and joined this site hoping to gain knowledge on trail cameras.

We live off a dirt road in the high desert of southern california. The local scum seem to think its better do dump loads of trash off our road instead of paying for the landfill.

Its always been a problem but the past 6 months its getting outta control. Someone is starting to dump their marijuana grow operation and my girlfriends kids are finding bags of soil and random grow stuff and so im drawing the line there. I dont have a problem with marijuana but i do have a problem with them dumping trash. We have tried calling the "we tip" dumping hotline for years. It does nothing. I called and reported the marijuana stuff. Still sitting there 4 months later. Unfortunately they just dont have enough time or man power or whatever to deal with it.

So my goal is to set up a trail camera and hopefully have enough detail during the nighttime to read the license plate. Ideal would be something with a solar panel to keep from buying batteries. It has to be very stealth with no lights or flash or anything. Also im not super rich im really hoping i can find a used one. Maybe this site has a classifieds.

Can anyone give me the specs on these things? I imagine the technology has changed quite a bit over the years. Do they have a good enough picture quality to zoom in and read a license plate taken at night from say 15' away? The dirt road has 6-8' tall shrubs i can easily hide the camera in.

Another concern is how quick would the memory card get filled up. Roughly 50 cars drive by a day.

Thanks for any advice!