HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on .22 Caliber rifles
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

The other day it was so hot out, but I wanted to shoot. I got all my work done in the morning and decided I had a little time before the thunder storm rolled in. So I decided to shoot the Sig Sauer 522 .22 caliber semi automatic rifle. I shoot cheap Wal Mart Winchester 555 36 grain hollow point ammo out of it. I purchased an inexpensive 4x32mm Tactical Scope with a mil dot cross hairs.

From all the shooting I have done with this rifle, I can not tell you how impressed I am with this rifle. So far, well over 3000 rounds have been shot. Never to date a jam. Granted bad ammo caused a fail to fire but not one misfire that I can attribute to the rifle.

Now on to today's shooting. I moved the bench table when mowing the lawn and had no idea how far I was from the small spinner targets. Plus I got some empty plastic 1/2 liter bottles (had the well worked on and have been drinking bottled water for three days) and with an old shoe string, hung them by the neck off my PVC shooting stand. My range finder said the spinner targets were 41 yards away. And the hanging bottles were 43, 44, 43 yards away.

At 40 yards those spinner targets were just as easy as they were at 25 and 35 yards. Set the cross hair, squeeze that excellent trigger, and watch them spin away. The small spinner surface is two inches across. Had that been small game, they'd of never stood a chance. I was shooting off the front grip, using it as a mono pod rest on the table. As fast as I could set that cross hair and squeeze, I could spin. One spinner is broken and does not lock up in the top position, it just spins. So I was seeing how fast I could spin that. Just a great time.

Then on to the hanging bottles. I could make them dance with ease. I was surprised at how if I concentrated on the center of the bottle I could almost cut that plastic bottle in half. Seeing that, I decided to try and cut the shoe string that was around the neck of the bottle. I then proceeded to cut the neck of the bottle off, just under the shoe string. When the first bottle fell I was impressed with myself. By the end of the shoot, three more had fallen to that Sig Sauer 522 rifle. On one bottle, I am sure it was fools luck, I honestly aimed at that shoe lace wrapped around the neck of that bottle. Squeezed the trigger, and cut that shoe string.

That's the way you cut the neck off a bottle and or cut a string.

I guess when I purchased the rifle I purchased it thinking it would be fun to shoot ammo fast, but really never considered it as the kind of accurate rifle this thing really is. I am going small game hunting with it this year. Any critter better be a long way from me. As they would never be safe.

If you ever get the urge to purchase a fun, accurate, and seemingly fool proof rifle, I can not stress that while this rifle was more expensive then a lot of them.. it is one great rifle. I had in the past shot sig sauer hand guns and always was impressed with their triggers and their functioning. Well this rifle is really built well.