HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Conical fit?
Thread: Conical fit?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 08:05 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Depending on the brand of conical you purchased, many are slip fit. Slip Fit meaning perhaps a little more loose used then you are accustomed to when loading sabots or roundball. The No Excuses conical bullets and Bull Shop are slip fit. While the REAL conicals means Rifling Engages At Loading. But once you get many of them "started" they do seem to load easy, but you can check them. As MD said.. turn the rifle upside down and slap the butt of the rifle or shake it good. Then put the ramrod in and see if the concial actually moved off the powder charges. Many times what we consider loose is not really as loose as you might think. I have only shaken two conicals off powder charges. And I mean I had to shake them hard. Much harder then I normally would while hunting.

The idea with the slip fit or loose loading conical is when the rifle is fired, the explosion behind the conical starts to flatten the back end a little and this engages the rifling on the way up the barrel. Some people use a wad to reduce the impact of this and to protect the bullet. But the idea is the same. Get that bullet started and get it into the rifling. White rifles are known for their ability to shoot a slip fit conical with extreme accuracy. And I hunt and shoot slip fit conicals all the time and have never had a problem with them.

And when I hunt, if I reach the stand, it takes seconds to use the ramrod and check the load. But I have used teflon tape to wrap minnie ball with as they can be shaken off the load. They are a .577 for my .58 caliber rifle which is a true .580 bore, can get the load moved. I was also able to move a conical once, but had to really pound the rifle to get it to move.