HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Please wear your harness
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 02:54 AM
VAhuntr
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sfury
Even with a harness there are two times you won't be secure. Going in/up or coming out/down.

Being safe will get us home most of the time. Still, even the best of preparation can be for nought. The gentleman that taught me the importance of using a safety harness was decades ahead of most hunters. He fell either going into his stand, or coming out. He never said before he passed away. A more safety conscious hunter I have never met.

Stay calm, stay safe, and don't rush when getting into or out of your stand. Hunting is inherently dangerous. We all have to do the best we can so we make it back to prepare for the next trip out.
There is a way to stay connected when ascending and descending and getting in and out of the stand. Go to this link and look at the product he sells. I'm not affiliated with him in any way and have never met him but IMO he offers a good product. If you don't want to buy from him, you can download instructions on how to make the ropes yourself.

www.safetreehunt.com

Another option is a climbing treestand if you hunt in an area that will accommodate one.