HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Please wear your harness
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I hate that it happened. Am glad you survived relatively OK. I am a fanatic when it comes to the use of a fall restraint. Here are 3 personal reasons why.

About 20 years ago, my brother fell from a 12' tall ladder stand. Broke his neck. Was in a "halo" for months. Doc's said that he came within a few millimmters of totally severing his spine, which would have left him paralyzed from the shoulders down. He recovered but was left with significant nerve damage and returned to only about 25% of his strength in his upper body despite 3 solid years of intense resistance rehab. One of my best friends, Jon U., fell backwards out of a climber while he was trying to push a dead limb in the clear. Hooked both feet in the frame of the climber inorder to keep from tumbling out. Hung upside down for over half an hour and despite being in fine condition could never pull himself back into the stand .... left leg was broken above the ankle (double compound) and holding only by the strength of the skin tendons. His right ankle was totally dislocated. Knowing that he was about to pass out, he decided to try to free himself and drop the 15 feet or so into some underbrush. He was able to swing free hit on his side. He passed out. Came to aobut an hour later and crawled to his ATV , and used his cell phone to call for help. A co-worker of mine fell almost 40' (yep, he was up that high) out of big pine tree. He and I had worked together for over a decade. He was found dead by his No.1 hunting buddy, at the base of the tree. All indication was that he was attempting top readjust the angle of his his climber seat and fell. Left a widow and 3 young kids.

These and your accident are a clear indication of how important proper use of a full body restraint system can be. As the designs have improved these past several years, they have become much more user friendly to put on, less bulky, quieter, and can be had for $100 or less. The "fancy" ones do not cost a whole lot more. Not much $$$ when you consider the possibles. And in my book, there are zero reasons for not using one .... only excuses!

OK I am off the soap box now.