HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting the Wind - Question
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 03:43 AM
nodog
Giant Nontypical

deer hunt the wind too and are very good at it. I don't think the wind is all it's cracked up to be. I think deer hunt the wind after they hear and or see danger. Don't let them hear or see danger and they won't hunt the wind for you.

I'm about as scent free (human scent) as I can be, I never get busted anymore, but I don't think that's the whole picture, I'm also very quiet and well blended. On the occasions where I do snap a twig I've had deer come looking for me and sniff hard to find me. What I think peeked their interest wasn't the smell of me, but the smell of freshly crushed earth. They would come right to the base of my tree and stand there for ever looking for what caused them to go looking.

I hunt the wind, but the wind doesn't bust me if I can't.

Last year I killed a nice buck bedded 15 yards away looking right at me and I didn't see it till after climbing into my stand and adjusting everything just to get ready to shoot including taking off my coat. Either that deer was deaf, dumb and blind or I know what I'm doing. Kind of was a let down in a way, it really was too easy. Deer never got up. I put 4 arrows through it quick. The first 2 kept it down, the next one finished it. I didn't need the forth. It couldn't go 150 yards away or it would've been on land I can't cross.