HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Squirrel Hunting areas in Maryland??
Old 06-09-2012, 08:29 AM
sean_paul87
Spike

I hunt both eastern fox and gray squirrels, and last years hunting season was the best I've ever had for them. I limited out almost every day I hunted within a matter of three or four hours. Fox squirrels can be found in good numbers from western washington county on westward, and gray squirrels are found everywhere. People say that Fox squirrels prefer agricultural habitat, however, I have found them in huge numbers on the tops of mountains away from any agriculture habitat, along with a lot of gray squirrels. Another good bet is to look close to the Potomac for them. Gray squirrels are gonna be found wherever there is woods. Fox squirrels are much less wary, less noisy, and don't move as fast and are more clumsy than gray squirrels. Gray squirrels make so much noise that to the inexperienced squirrel they can sound like huge deer. Wherever there is a lot of oaks, specifically chestnut oaks, white oaks, red oaks, and black oaks mixed together, as well as a large number of hickories and walnuts. Having good amounts of each of these trees is the ultimate squirrel habitat. I use a scoped .22, as its not as loud, more challenging, less expensive, and you can shoot from much farther away. That being said, the best places for squirrels in my opinion that I have hunted for are Indian Springs wma (avoid that place during deer firearms season, and be especially careful on weekends during bow season) I have shot numerous fox and gray squirrels there, in all places of the wma. Another is Green ridge state forest, (gets very crazy during deer firearms season, but besides that sees little pressure) Gray squirrels are found throughout and you tend to find greater numbers of fox squirrels the closer you are to the potomac or edge of the forest. Warrior mountain is absolutely fantastic as well as beautiful, You will see tons of grays, and usually have to go to the edge of the wma or towards the middle away from the campsite to find fox squirrels. I have not hunted dans mountain, however I would assume its full of gray squirrels. Dans mountain is also insanely rugged if you've ever looked at the topo map. Probably 80-90% of the wma doesnt see more than a few people or anyone at all throughout the whole year. If you are willing to put in work, you won't see anyone. Sideling hill is probably good habitat for both gray and fox squirrels, I've just never tried it out. I've heard it gets crowded during deer gun season. I've never hunted the wma's and state forests in garrett county, however from what I've read it's not as good as a whole as allegany, but there are apparently good numbers in portions of savage river and potomac-garrett. I've hunted the watershed a few times for squirrel in the dead of winter, however all I've seen is tons of squirrel sign but no squirrels (probably because it was too cold.) I did the majority of my squirrel hunting near a cabin I rent out to people to pay for its maintence in WV. Theres a huge almost vertical ridge across the street from the cabin that seems to hold all the squirrels in the area, as there are very few on any property below the ridge. I've never seen anyone up there, probably due to the fact it's so rugged and all the properties near the ridge are located at or very near to the bottom. I found out recently someone does actually own all the land on that ridge, however the only posted signs on that land are those near the houses. This might be something you want to look into, if you have any friends who live near huge and steep ridges, You can probably hunt with no problem on the top of these ridges because its most likely not posted or used at all. I've found out that the guy who owns the ridge I hunt on is in suburbia, and no ones ever seen him in or around wv at all. he also owns the tops of numerous ridges in western maryland. I AM NOT CONDONING HUNTING ON PRIVATE PROPERTY, however, this is the exception to my rule about it. Most locals also probably occasionally hunt these tall ridges that are not posted throughout the ridge. Just some ideas, and I know I'm late to this thread. Also, sorry for my rant lol.