HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need HELP Selecting a Bolt-Action Rifle
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 03:52 PM
JBuck1911
Spike

Smile

Originally Posted by homers brother
RR beat me to it. I shoot a 20" barrel and while I have considered swapping barrels to a 22" or 24", the only reason would be to squeeze that extra 150-or-so feet per second of velocity out of it. However, because most of my shooting is at 800 yards or under with an occasional poke out to 1000 yards, because the bullet is still supersonic out to 1300 yards with the moderate reloads I use, and because I'm still connecting with the targets, I'm in no rush and I don't see the short barrel length as a liability.

That stock IS an issue. I bought my SPS knowing full well that my intent would be one day to replace it, and I replaced it very quickly. Then again, I've been shooting rifles for coming up on 40 years and I think I've about got my shooting fundamentals ironed out. That stock will work to get you started. It's probably not going to shoot groups of less than 1" at 100 yards, but I've seen noobs show up at the range not able to do better than 3" starting out with much better setups. I say shoot that thing until you're down to 1-1/2" or 1" groups, THEN consider upgrading the stock.

My 700 SPS wears an Accuracy International Chassis. The AI includes DBM, which most McMillans do not - though not everyone NEEDS a box magazine. Although the Savage 110 series has a solid reputation, there aren't many options out there for them. AI doesn't make a chassis for the Savage 110, nor do many other manufacturers, save McMillan. Savage shooters I know continually complain about that. They're hot and cold about the "accutrigger" - some see it as very useful, others see it as adding complexity where you shouldn't need it. Ultimately, you're spending an awful lot of money in the case of the rifle you linked for a stock that you may not like.

Look at it this way, you can pick up a rifle and get out to the range and shooting for about $900, including glass. Once you've developed enough confidence in your shooting skills, you can start replacing things - in particular the stock, the scope mounting system, and the scope itself as budget becomes available.
Awesome, great info. Thanks, learning a lot here. I also posted this same question on 2 other forums (got the best advice here though). Everyone is telling me to go with the 700SPS. Also read a great article/review. Good to know you can upgrade as you go along. I think I'll definitely be getting the 700SPS. From what everyone says and the review it sounds like a real winner. Another person on a different forum was very adamant about me getting a 22LR as my first rifle, said I'd be better off. Practice, practice, practice with that, then get a .308. I certainly like that the 22 has such inexpensive ammo, but I shot the 22 a lot when I was a kid and my friends 22 a few years ago. I was a pretty good shot from what I remember, but it kind of felt like a BB gun with a little kick. I think I want something with more power. If you think getting 22 would be a good idea I would consider buying one of those as well. I know I can find a used one at this local gun shop. Anyway, thanks again. I'll keep ya all posted on my progress and decision.