HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need HELP Selecting a Bolt-Action Rifle
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 07:24 PM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

Since you're just getting started shooting rifles, here's what I would recommend, based on the links you posted:

1. Buy the 700 SPS in .308. It's just a boring, very basic rifle. But, if you find yourself somewhere down the road looking to get more serious about your shooting (i.e. "when it turns from a hobby into a passion - or worse - an obsession"), the Remington M700 has BY FAR the most options when it comes to custom stocks, DBM (Detachable Box Magazines), triggers, not to mention a dizzying array of scope mounts.

2. ABSOLUTELY stay away from "combos" that include a scope. Those scopes are usually junk, and you're most likely going to have to replace it anyway.

3. In terms of glass, your budget doesn't put you anywhere near what any of your dream rifles would wear. But, you don't need a Schmidt&Bender to start shooting. In your price range, I'd probably recommend the Burris FullField II in 3-9 power (low power is 3x magnification, high is 9x), and I'd probably look to a mil-dot reticle (the reticle is basically "what the crosshairs look like"). A mil-dot reticle will eventually allow you to estimate range optically with some simple math, rather than relying on a laser range finder.

4. Get decent mounts and scope rings. If it says "made in China", it's junk. Just getting started, Leupold are probably the easiest to find and the best value for the money (you may want to replace them later anyway).

5. Once you get it set up, shoot the heck out of it. Be comfortable with it, be confident in the skills you'll develop. Patience will pay off more quickly than will dumping a pile of money into something.

Regarding those expensive stocks, think of them as a "Terminator". Looks like a regular stock on the outside, alloy chassis on the inside.

A rifle such as those you mention is just one piece of a sniper "system" - the most important components of which are the shooter and the spotter. Although it's easy to "look like" one, once steel goes downrange it's easy to spot the "mall ninjas" from the true marksmen. Focus on your shooting first, your dreams second.