HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How young to handle 20 gauge slug recoil?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:34 AM
sachiko
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by Bulzeye
How old was your kid when they could first take the kick from a 20g slug gun?

My daughter is 9, and will be joining me deer hunting as soon as she can pass the saftey test and handle a deer-legal weapon. It may be a few years yet.

I live in IL where we cannot use rifles for deer, and want to get her a 20 gauge slug gun because I think she will be able to handle that earlier than pulling a 40# bow, which is the legal minimum draw weight limit for deer here.
I'm an adult but I'm the same size as a ten-year old, four foot seven and 74 pounds. I buy my clothes in the childrens section.

I have no problem shooting a 20 ga. We had the stock cut down a little for me so it would fit. I can feel the recoil but it doesn't hurt.

A couple of things to consider. A heavier gun has less recoil. I have no problem with an 8mm. Mauser. I can feel it but it doesn't hurt.

Don't minimize the negative effects of recoil. She may decide she doesn't like hunting but not feel comfortable telling you it's the recoil, because you don't just shoot when you hunt. When she practices, she will be shooting the same gun over and over. If her shoulder hurts too much, she's not going to like it.

I wish I could have started when I was her age. I wasn't exposed to hunting and shooting until I was 16 and met my husband. I love it.