HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Learning to Cast my own
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 AM
flounder33
Nontypical Buck

Damn it was nice out today and the Warden was gone to a funeral so I decided I better get that Ultra Mag out and try shooting a few of my cast bullets.
Ed told me that the rifle was getting mad at me cuz I hadn't shot it yet. On the third shot trying to get it sighted in it let me have it on the nose.
After I got the bleeding to quit I went back out there and moved the scope about an inch forward. I got it sighted in close and then set the target out to 70 yards. I was using 80 grains of 2f Goex. I got this five shot group:

I am really pretty darn happy with the rifle and the bullet. The flounder needs to get a lot better and practice more, then the groups will tighten up. I might have been a little shaky after getting kissed by that scope.
After that I filled 3 plastic coffee cans up with water and set a hardcover lab safety catalog that I had in the shop behind them.
I got really similar results to Ron. It went through the three plastic coffee cans and dented the hardcover and ripped 180 pages. The bullet was found on the ground in front of the book.

It looked kind of like a chef's hat. It started out at 499.3 grains and ended up at 497.9.
I like it.