HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best expandable out there?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 AM
annika3
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sdhunter11
here we go this is going to take alot of typing, First year with mechanical heads consisted of the rocky mountain snyper 1 3/4" cut 100gr and the 2 blade rage 2" cut. Shot these out of my switchback xt in my signature at 275 fps. Both heads shot the same as my field tips. First hunt was antelope. First day, 20 yard broadside shot at a buck with the rage, almost a complete pass through. He went about 80 yards and dropped. Next day, antelope doe 57 yard shot with the snypers, complete pass through, 40 yard retrieval. Next month deer season, 14 yard shot at doe with rage, broadside, arrow struck her about 3" behind the shoulder, lower 1/3 of the body, perfect right. she ran a circle around my tree. Arrow was only in her about 3", no blood, no deer. Rages went in the garbage. About a month later i was walking to my stand and ran into a nice buck on the way chasing a doe. Snypers were up to bat again. 50 yard shot, broadside, complete passthrough, 60 yard retrieval.

Although the snypers and the rage are the same design take a little closer look. the snyper is a smaller cut with a much better blade angle which is why i believe they penetrated much better. I WILL NOT TRY THE RAGE AGAIN after losing that doe. She ran by me twice and i seen the arrow twice, it was perfectly placed and the arrow did not touch anything on the way to her. Thinking about that hunt still torks me off.
The Snyper is actually a 1 3/8" cutting diameter and the Rage 2-blade 40KE is 1 1/2" cutting diameter and has basically the exact same blade angle as the Snyper.