HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pitbulls for Upland Birds?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Toaojc
Spike

Default Don't be ignorant.

Originally Posted by JW
To bird hunt a pitbull is like taking a real Bull in a China shop......Their physically ability to run is all wrong and not built for that. Nor will they have the stamina to stay out there long.

JW
"Their physically ability to run in all wrong..." Ignoring your grammatical error, JW, that comment makes absolutely no sense. And stating "Nor will they have the stamina to stay out there long" just proves your ignorance of the breed. Admitting my bias, I have a pit that pheasant hunts thousands of acres in western KS with me every year. The Brittany that hunts with us quits first. Then the Lab. Then the German Short Hair. The pit never quits. She outruns a much longer and bigger GSH. I have seen that dog out-hunt and out-work "Champion" and "pure-bred" bird dogs. The gameness of the pitbull makes it a great hunting dog- seeing as they were originally bred for bull and bear baiting. The pitbull I had before her never hunted- he was an abused rescue dog that was for obvious reasons gunshy. He was bitten twice, once by a Lab and once by a Golden. Both were the instigators. So, speaking from my experience, pits make great companion dogs, and every once in a while you will find one that can hunt. Do your best. If the dog isn't gunshy, there's a good chance he has a strong prey drive and if you train him well, he will be a great addition to your hunting party.