HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 2 Sunrise Shooters
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 07:32 AM
zubba
Nontypical Buck

I still think 870 will come through.

We had a pretty awesome morning today. First we called in a Tom & Jake. The Tom put on a nice show as he strutted in from about 150 yards. My buddy missed him at about 8 yards. By looking at the footage, the arrow flew right over his head. About an hour later, we had 3 Jakes come in. My buddy missed him at 15 yards. After we looked at the footage, the arrow looked like to grazed him. Went out and looked..found the tip of his snoot...lol. That is what I like about bowhunting turkeys with the bullheads...it is either a kill or nothing. You don't have to worry about not recovering a bird.

I tell you though, anyone serious about bowhunting turkeys needs to look into a nice set of decoys. They are pricey, but worth their weight in gold. I have shot a pile of birds with the foam decoys & a shotgun. But a good decoy will bring them within 3-5 yards and keep them there. We use The Best Turkey Decoy jake and 2 Dave Smith Decoy hens. We split the cost so it wasn't as bad, but I'll never hunt turkeys without them. Sorry for rambling.